Friday, April 20, 2012

Empty Nest Syndrome

In the past six weeks, McKenzie and I have spent one week together alone. The last 24 days were the longest of that stretch, making today the first day we've been alone. Needless to say, it's been a busy six weeks. 

After the girls returned from their trip, they didn't waste much time getting settled in:

Immediately taking over the couch

They got back on Monday and Whit was here till Thursday. We tried to take advantage of her last few days here. 

Age-defying techniques
We went out with one of Kenz's school friends, Alejandra, on Tuesday evening. Owen's band, The Great Malarkey, was playing a gig in the "hip" part of London. Kenz and I had yet to go see them play, so we figured this was as good a time as any to go. 

Dinner got a thumbs up. 

Owen's mom made him that vest

It was good to get out of the house and see the band. Kenz and Whit had been cooped up in the hotel room for the last four days of their trip. The weather in Palma was nasty rainy the whole time they were there, so they were itching to get out and stretch their legs. 

The band invited a bunch of people up for their last number, almost getting more people on stage than in the audience

It turned out to be a good time. I had anticipated the girls being underwhelmed by the band, but TGM puts on a good show; they're high energy and have an eclectic sound. I don't imagine they'll ever be on tour in the states - but if they are - you should check them out. 

Wednesday was cold and rainy (as per usual). Instead of sitting inside at the house all day, we decided to sit inside theatres all day. 

I had just been accepted into a mildly secret "club" that various theatres use to fill their seats. If a play or concert hasn't sold out, they go to one of the three (that I know about) "clubs" and allot a certain amount of tickets for the club members. Everyone in the club gets an email that a new show has been added. If you want to go to the show, you book the ticket through the club's website and all you have to pay is the processing fee. Of course, there are all sorts of rules about being well behaved and dressing in "smart casual" and not actually talking about being a member of the club or how you got the tickets. I guess I'm breaking the rules by posting about being in the club, but I don't think I'll get caught. Let's be honest, this blog isn't being ready by more than about 10 people (and I don't think y'all are going to rat me out!)

Translated: we got three matinee tickets for Hay Fever for 6 quid. And we got to sit in the 6th row! 

There is a yearly fee to be a member of the club, but booking just this one show would've cost more than the year's membership. I have a feeling Kenz and I are about to be going to a lot more theatre than usual! 

After the show, Kenz and Whit decided they wanted to see a movie too. If only I had some secret club that got us into movies for 6 pounds...

We saw The Cabin in the Woods, which they thought was strange but I really enjoyed.

We strolled back to the bus afterwards, getting sad that Whitney would be leaving the next day. That didn't stop them for making fun of me practicing my whistling. I've begun to absent-mindedly whistle as I walk around. I don't notice it anymore, but it apparently irritates Kenz and Whit. Whitney claims she can whistle better than I. 

Trying to prove her point
An early dinner had the girls wanting a late night kebab before bed. We walked in the rain at midnight to get some gross chicken carved off a rotating skewer.  

"I look like a gnome" - Kenz, upon seeing this picture

I took Whitney to the airport the next morning. We were both so tired that we fell asleep on the way there. We had aimed to get Whitney to the airport three hours before her plane departed, but had been given the wrong flight information the night before (Patti!). Her plane wasn't scheduled to take off for another hour and a half from when we originally thought. So - we were at the airport at 10am, but her flight wasn't until 2:30. I had breakfast with her to keep her company for an extra hour, but at 11am, she was ready to suck it up and get on with the security screening. 

The day of travel at the end of a vacation is the worst. 

Whit made it home safe. She called at 2am to let us know. Thoughtful. 

So now it's just Kenz and I, and I think it'll be that way for a few months. We have a friend planning on coming to visit during the Olympics, but that's not till July. In the meantime, we're trying to stay dry. Kenz is in her last month of her first year of school; she's pretty excited to be nearing the end of this year. Hopefully she'll be posting soon about their trip to France and Spain. I suggest emailing her again to pester her. c.mckenzie.gibson [at] gmail [dot] com. 

I'm sick; I hate being sick.

Rainy days

"There's always one trashy looking pigeon in the bunch" - McKenzie
Have a good weekend!